9/6/11

Anyone heard of a long lasting fever that comes & goes w/ croup type cough?


Anyone heard of a long lasting fever that comes & goes w/ croup type cough?
My daughter started off w/ what seemed like a head cold – sneezing & coughing & then a low-grade fever came next. She vomited 2x during the first night of this infection (or whatever it is). She has had the fever since last Wed – we're going on one week already here! The fever is strange though – a few times during the day it would go down to normal and so we were certain the next day she would be going to school. But no, in the evening or night, the fever returned. We brought her to urg. Care & they suspect a viral infection & did not give any treatment but the usual runaround like rest & drink plenty of fluids. In the fall my daughter also had a long-lasting fever during the swine flu outbreak (around Halloween). This Sat. her fever went in the 103's (that was the highest so far) & that made her sleepy & feeling thirsty. Otherwise, she looks and acts fine for having a moderate fever (mostly in the 100s & 101s). Her appetite today was almost normal I would say but her temp before bed tonight was still holding at 101. She has missed 5 days of schl & hubby wants to send her to schl tomorrow, even though the policy states kids must be fever free for 24 hrs. She has a croup-type cough (she's had this ailment in the past). She doesn't have the typical ailments of any flu like chills & body aches.

To summarize symptoms:
Mon (Jan 4) had head cold (runny nose & bad cough)
Wed fever was noted w/ continued bad cough
Wed night vomited 2x during night
Thurs to now: croupy cough & fever mostly in the 100-101s, w/ occasional 102s and periods of being fever free during the day & Sat temp peaked at 103.

So fever duration is 7 days so far. ??

Best answer:
Here are tips that help me when I'm fighting a cold, respiratory infection, or flu.....

OVER THE COUNTER MEDS:
take a sinus decongestant containing Phenylephrine 5mg. you don't necessarily need all the extras it's often mixed with.
but if you want some extras, here you go: Guaifenisen (Mucinex is the brand name, but it's way cheaper at dollar stores. always read ingredients!!) liquefies your mucus so it's much easier to expel. But you have to drink TONS of water or it won't work, and you must be near a bathroom because it makes you pee a lot. (yet causes constipation... another reason to stay hydrated!)
Ibuprofen is an excellent anti-inflammatory, but it's strong, so alternate it with Acetaminophen as needed for pain, pressure, and headaches.

ESSENTIALS:

stay home. (even one day can make a difference to your immune system. plus, you'll keep your germs to yourself.)
sleep. (bolsters up your immune system)
drink plenty of water. (8 8oz servings a day=bare minimum!!) (pee out those germs and flush 'em away!!)
take vitamin C, zinc, and echinacea. (also strengthen the immune system)
eat too much garlic. (sorry, but it really is great for your health! and it will give you a good reason to stay home. :) )
wash hands well and often. use moisturizing lotion or hand sanitizer to keep from cracking your hands to bits.
avoid milk and chocolate. dairy foods will thicken your mucus and make your fight that much harder.

the meds and garlic are harsh, so don't take them on an empty stomach. i hope you allow yourself some time to feel better soon! take care.

also i just learned a new tip from John Popper of Blues Traveler: very hot water, cayenne pepper, white vinegar, and honey. SOUNDS GROSS!!! he gargles it and spits up all kinds of nasty crap. might be worth a shot, but don't hurt your vocals! to be safe maybe just drink hot water with lemon and honey. that works too, and it's much more pleasant.

COUGHING FITS:
you will benefit most from the mucinex and water. (generic is fine... but don't take any DEXTROMETHORPHAN (cough suppressant) during the day. take it at night so you can stop coughing and get some rest. during the day, you need to drink a ton of water and break that crap up so it will leave you alone!)

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!Fever Blister Attack: Ways to Avoid it Using Home Remedies


Fever blisters (cold sores) are fluid-filled red blisters on the areas around the mouth, gums or lips. Its appearance is triggered after a person had fever, colds, fatigue, stress, exposure to the sun, menstruation, and other respiratory infection.


What are the causes of fever blisters?
Herpes virus type 1 and herpes virus type 2 are the main cause of fever blisters. This virus which is already present in the body attacks when something triggers it. Fever blisters are also associated with low immune system. In addition, research found out that people suffering from fever blisters have low B12 content. Calcium deficiency is also said to be the cause of fever blisters.


Are fever blisters contagious?
Fever blisters are contagious that is why when a person is infected with it, he/she should avoid practices like sharing of plates, cups, towels and other personal things to other person. Skin to skin contact should also be avoided to avoid transmission. It is also important to avoid kissing the person with fever blister.


What should be done to prevent fever blisters?
Occurrence of fever blisters is blamed for poor diet. Foods with high arginine that increase the herpes virus reproduction such as peanuts, chocolate, grains, seeds, peas, whole wheat products, and oatmeal should be avoided if you see signs of fever blisters. Taking calcium-rich drink such as milk or calcium supplement can lessen the chances of fever blister attack.






]]>

If you had fever blisters, change your toothbrush immediately.


Are there any home remedies to treat fever blisters?
Having fever blisters is painful. It can last for at least 2 weeks. The bad news is, there is no direct cure of fever blisters however, you can shorten your suffering with several home remedies available. Here are several useful home remedies you can try if you have fever blisters:


Take vitamin E to relive the pain.


Take vitamin C supplements at least three times a day to shorten the duration of fever blisters. Zinc tablets are also effective to shorten the duration of fever blister.


For more natural way of treating it, use aloe by rubbing its juice to the area affected. This is most effective on the early stage of fever blister development.


Applying cornstarch on the affected area would lessen the duration.


Meanwhile, dabbing camphor with cotton ball on the area of the fever blister is another effective way of lessening the duration of the sore.


Aloe juice mixed with grapefruit seed extract is another effective way of treating blisters. Use it and you can see its healing effect. This mixture is very strong so you have to be gentle when applying it.


As a pain reliever, try dabbing ice cube on the affected area every 10-15 minutes for one hour. This can stop the further infection of the virus.


To speed up the healing, use an extract of lemon balm.


Eating yogurt is a good way to prevent fever blisters virus from growing. Make sure though that it is gelatin-free for gelatin can further worsen the blister.


Dimethyl sulfoxide or DMSO is another way to stop the growth of blister. It penetrates right on the infection thus speeding up the healing process.


To control the development of the virus, apply a tea bag on the affected area for 5-10 minutes every hour. It contains tannic acid, an effective component to prevent viral infections.





Orignal From: Anyone heard of a long lasting fever that comes & goes w/ croup type cough?

1 comment:

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.
    Here is my Email contact...piresmis59@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete