8/24/11

I have a thyroid question????


I have a thyroid question????
A couple of months ago I went to doctor because I had racing heart.I had been exercising pretty intensely. I got dehydrated which I thought what what brought on the the heart racing because I couldn't pee the next couple days and when I finally drank more water it got better but I was anxious about the heart racing . I also had no energy. So I went to doctor make sure everything was okay and it was except I had a viral infection.Dr. said have thyroid checked since there's a history of thyroid problems in my family. I didn't feel sick just had a little nose and chest congestion. So maybe a week or so later I started having symptoms of hyperthyroidism. I went and had thyroid checked and sure enough I was mildly hyperthyroid. I was referred to an endo but by the time my appt came around I was already feeling more normal. Sure enough my tests came back normal. All my antiobodies were normal and thyroid level. So dr. said he thinks thyroid was inflammed but had already scheduled me for ultrasound 4 weeks later and another thyroid test 6 weeks later and told me to go ahead and come for them both. So I'll be going for my ultrasound at the end of this week. About a week or two ago I started experiencing this really tight feeling from my ear down to my neck. I am very tense person so started massaging muscles back there. Husband also noticed I felt very tense back there. That seemed to help some. I am still experiencing the tightness but not as much as before. I have had sinus drainage but none of it's coming out also have had aching head on that same side but doesn't stay. Throat is also sore on that side I guess from the drainage. I don't feel terrible just tired. I also have stopped losing weight like I was when I was hyperthyroid. I'm definitely gaining now easily. My ear feels full on that side also and sometimes itches on the inside and sometimes even feels wet inside. I do go swimming a lot but not sure if that has something to do with it or not. I thought that side of my neck felt bigger than other side but you can't tell by looking. I just don't know if this still has to do with my thyroid or not. The tightness comes and goes. Sometimes it's not there at all and sometimes it is but it hasn't gone back to being as bad as it was to begin with. My cheek also feels puffy sometimes. I feel like I sound like a hypochondriac but I'm not. I have been healthy all my life. The worst I've had was tonsillitis and shingles. I'm a 23 year old female with 2 young boys.
I said when he did the tests everything was normal including antibodies so how could it be that

Best answer:
You could have Hashimoto's, which, at first, cycles from hypO to hypER to hypO etc etc. TSH could show normal (.3 - 3) but there could be antibodies present. Ask that this all be checked. Get copies of your results.

TSH 'norm' should be .3 – 3 (w/ most feeling best at < 2) but would not matter if antibodies are present. Indicative of Hashimoto's Autoimmune Thyroiditis…main cause of HypOthyroid & is worse (...OR Graves Disease - HypERthyroid).

WARNING: Doctors seem not to want to find thyroid disease. You may have to go to more than one doctor before you get the right tests, interpretation, and treatment. Best wishes.

Ck these:
http://thyroid.about.com/bio/Mary-Shomon-350.htm
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
http://www.thyrophoenix.com/index.html

God bless

Add your own answer in the comments!Information on Function of the Thyroid


When a person has an under active thyroid, which is a result from insufficient thyroid hormone production, this is diagnosed as hypothyroidism.  Typically, this condition creates symptoms which include weight gain, fatigue, constipation, low blood pressure, body pain fluid retention, depression, and more.


When a person has an oversupply of thyroid hormone, this thyroid dysfunction is known as hyperthyroidism.  This results from an oversupply of thyroid hormone and causes rapid metabolism.  Some of the more common symptoms of this condition include rapid weight loss, insomnia, diarrhea, anxiety, high blood pressure, vision disturbances and bulging/eye sensitivity, amongst other symptoms.


Another example of a person being considered hypothyroid is as a result of being treated with radioactive iodine or when the thyroid was surgically removed and is now taking a thyroid replacement hormone.  Some doctors, even some experts of hormonal health, have outlined their approach in achieving what they call 'optimal treatment' for the condition hypothyroidism.  In this, they state that the proper care for hypothyroidism begins when a proper diagnosis is given, and follows with a process of supplementation for success in intracellular thyroid activity.






]]>

This proper treatment is dependant on understanding thyroid function.  There is a test given that helps detect dysfunction in the thyroid when the problem is the thyroid gland.  In most cases, when there is a problem with the thyroid gland the diagnosis is usually hypothyroidism.  However, with additional testing there may be another reason for the problem. In some cases low tissue or suboptimal thyroid activity such as…
• Problems with cellular transport
• Pituitary and hypothalamus dysfunction
• Increases with formation of T3
• Poor T3 and T4 conversion
• Blockage of thyroid receptor
• When the activation of the thyroid stimulated gene is inhibited


Both Graves' disease and Hashimoto's disease are both diseases that have a direct affect on the thyroid.  A person gets Hashimoto's disease as a result of having hypothyroidism. It may mirror some of the same symptoms.  It is rare, but possible that occasionally the thyroid fails, comes back to life and temporarily become overactive.  This is characterized by what is known as Hashitoxicosis.


Graves' disease is another known autoimmune disease that can cause the thyroid to become overactive. This condition is known as hyperthyroidism. Other things that can cause hyperthyroidism are supplements or medications, viral infections of the thyroid, Toxic modules, amongst other things.


If you, or someone you know think they may be suffering from one of the auto-immune diseases listed above, please see your physician right away.  The sooner you are treated, the quicker you will start to feel better.  You deserve the very best.


 




Orignal From: I have a thyroid question????

1 comment:

  1. After a couple of lackluster years on levo, I asked my doc to let me try desiccated thyroid supplements . It has been a good for me. But be careful when you add a dose.

    ReplyDelete